Wednesday, September 21, 2011

NASA's Folly

What may fall from the sky is usually unknown, but according to NASA an old satellite will fall to the ground as soon as tomorrow, Thursday September 22, 2011. The first news report I saw said the largest chunk of debris could weigh up to 250 pounds, and not to worry, most of the debris will weigh 1 pound or possibly less. If you are feeling O.K. with getting hit by a 1 pound piece of debris I'd like to point out that the debris will be traveling at velocity, and unless the debris has an immense surface area, like a piece of foam, I would prefer not to get hit by any debris even if the pieces are small....... even as small as lets say a bullet. The news report also said that NASA had no idea where the satellite debris will land and would not have any idea of it's final trajectory until the moment it enters the atmosphere, giving anywhere from 2 hours to as little as 20 minutes warning. It's not clear if the warning will be made public or not. To top it off the statistics given are 1:3,200 that a person will be hit by falling debris. Since it is not known how many pieces of debris will impact the surface it is slightly frightening to consider that 1:3,200 could lead to a large number of injuries and fatalities in a densely populated area. If the unfortunate falling nightmare comes down in my neck of the woods, Seattle, the horrifying number of casualties could be as high as 1,277. I think 1,277 is massive. When did NASA become so.............incompetent? They shut down this satellite in 2005 and I find it hard to understand why they didn't bring this thing down sooner, purposely, controlled, and as safe as possible. It didn't seem that long ago that the U.S. Navy shot down a toxic Russian satellite, yet tomorrow we could have a 250 pound burning hulk return to earth through my roof....I don't think my landlord is going to like that. If I'm one of the unlucky ones to take a NASA sky-turd to the grave I want my friends and family to rejoice that they knew me and sue the bastards that killed me. I hope you make it, but be aware I'm seriously thinking of wearing my hard hat tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment